The Nominations Period of the 7th Airsoft Players' Choice Awarss is now open. Got your list of nominees ready?
Gun Ban In Effect in the Philippines
It's that time again when all the politicians in the Philippines start doing the song and dance routine, plus kissing babies and pumping hands. The campaign season for the 2010 National Elections is now heating up, from the President down to the local government positions. And it is always bloody as hell with rival families and clans vying for the positions that really don't pay well "on paper", and you know what I mean.
If you have read the news of the Maguindanao Massacre last 2009 in which a dominant political clan massacred over 50 people of a rival, then you will start reading various reports from all over the country until all election protests have been resolved.
Thus, the gun ban which is always put into place by Commission on Elections of the Philippines (COMELEC), covers all gun bearing individuals, whether they have registered or unregistered firearms. This covers airsoft as well, so the airsoft community will be at a limbo for a few months, save for those who want to test the gun ban and transporting their airsoft guns to private games, and one was already arrested yesterday according to a posting at the FILAIRSOFT (FAS) forums.
Here is the COMELEC Resolution and some facts regarding this as posted at FAS:
Gun Ban 01/10/10 to 06/09/10
RESOLUTION No. 8646
CALENDAR OF ACTIVITIES AND PERIODS OF PROHIBITED ACTS
IN CONNECTION WITH THE MAY 10, 2010 NATIONAL AND LOCAL ELECTIONS.
Promulgation: 14 July 2009
DATE/PERIOD: January 10, 2010 (SUN) to June 09, 2010 (WED)
ACTIVITIES: ELECTION PERIOD
PROHIBITED ACTS: Bearing, carrying or transporting firearms or other deadly weapons in public places. Building, street, park, private vehicle or public conveyance, even if licensed to possess or carry the same, unless authorized in writing by the Commission. (Sec. 261 (p) (q) (r) and (s), OEC as amended by Sec. 32, R.A. 7166)
Suspension of elective local officials (Sec. 261 (x), OEC)
Transfer of officers and employees in the civil service (Sec. 261 (h), OEC)
Organization or maintenance of reaction forces, strike forces or other similar forces (Sec. 261 (u), OEC)
Use of security personnel or bodyguards by candidates, whether or not such bodyguards are regular members of the AFP or other law enforcement agency. (Sec. 261 (t) OEC as amended by Sec. 33, RA 7166)
1. AIRSOFT GUNS AND REPLICAS ARE SPECIFICALLY INCLUDED.
2. ALL PERMITS TO CARRY OR TRANSPORT FIREARMS OUTSIDE OF RESIDENCE (AIRSOFT INCLUDED) ARE SUSPENDED THROUGH OUT THE DURATION OF THE BAN.
3. OWNING OF LICENSED AIRSOFT IS NOT PROHIBITED. TRANSPORTING THEM IS.
4. BUYING AND SELLING AIRSOFT IS NOT PROHIBITED DURING THIS PERIOD, THE ONLY PROBLEM IS HOW TO TAKE THEM HOME.
5. PLAYING AIRSOFT GAMES IS NOT PROHIBITED PROVIDED THAT IT IS HELD INSIDE A SECLUDED PRIVATE AREA.
6. PENALTIES AND CHARGES FOR VIOLATION OF THE SAID GUN BAN WILL BE THE SAME FOR BOTH REAL STEEL AND AIRSOFT.
7.YOU CAN STILL BUY FIREARMS AND AIRSOFT GUNS AT LICENSED SHOPS DURING THE GUN BAN BUT REGISTRATION AND RELEASE OF THE UNIT PURCHASED WILL BE ACCOMPLISHED AFTER THE BAN.
8.AIRSOFT AND FIREARMS CAN BE STORED IN SAFETY VAULTS APPROVED BY THE FED IN GAME SITES AND SHOOTING RANGES PRIOR TO THE BAN.
9.NO SPECIAL PERMITS AND EXEMPTIONS WERE ISSUED AS OF THIS TIME.
10. ONCE APPREHENDED, SEIZED ITEMS SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN PLAIN VIEW OF THE AUTHORIZED COMELEC REPRESENTATIVE DURING THE TIME OF APPREHENSION.
11. RAIDS ON PRIVATE GAME SITES ARE NOT MANDATED WITH THIS GUN BAN. ONCE A GAME SITE IS RAIDED WITH THE PROPER AUTHORITIES HAVING A WARRANT, ONLY THE UN LICENSED ONES SHOULD BE THE SUBJECT OF THE SEARCH AND SEIZURE.
12. SALE OF AIRSOFT AND FIRE ARMS ACCESSORIES ARE NOT PROHIBITED, eg; FRONT GRIPS,SCOPES, UN LOADED MAGAZINES,RAILS ETC....REAL STEEL BARREL IS CONSIDERED A WHOLE FIREARM. AVOID TRANSPORTING THE FF: REAL AND REPLICA AMMUNITION, LOWER RECEIVER ASSEMBLY OF A FIREARM, UPPER RECEIVER ASSEMBLY, LOADED MAGAZINES. REGULATED AFP/PNP UNIFORM, RANK/INSIGNIA.